Managing Partner J.D. Head has practiced environmental and administrative law in Texas for over 35 years. He formerly served as Director of the Legal Division and General Counsel of the State of Texas’ environmental regulatory agency.
EXPERIENCE & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
environmental & administrative law
Represents clients in renewal and modifications of hazardous waste facility permit for the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s Waste Isolation Pilot Plant.
Represents clients in state and federal administrative penalty enforcement actions for alleged violations of environmental laws.
- Represents clients in civil enforcement cases brought by the Texas Attorney General’s Office.
- Represents groundwater conservation districts with responsibility for drafting, implementing and enforcing groundwater protection and permitting rules.
- Assists clients in water rights and air quality permitting.
- Successfully represented governmental entities and industrial facilities in obtaining wastewater discharge permits.
- Successfully represented citizens group and governmental entitles in protesting a proposed hazardous waste injection well facility.
- Represented a Texas county opposed to an industrial solid waste landfill, convincing state environmental agency to cease processing the application.
- Represented client in cost recovery action involving remediation of soil and groundwater contaminated by tenant's dry cleaning business.
- Represented waste management company in negotiating a unique and cost-effective closure of an industrial waste disposal site.
- Successfully defended a municipal solid-waste company in appeals of its new landfill permit.
- Obtained regulatory agency approvals for clients engaged in novel waste recycling projects and for client involvement in river dredging projects.
- Texas Monthly “Super Lawyer” in the environmental area, 2006-2018
- Who’s Who Legal: Texas, environmental law, 2007-2018
- Best Lawyers in America: Lawyer of the Year, Environmental Litigation, Austin, 2014, 2016, 2018
- State Bar of Texas (1980)
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Austin Bar Association
- Air & Waste Management Association
- Texas Water Conservation Association
- Texas Alliance of Groundwater Districts
- University of Texas (J.D., 1980)
- Stanford University (B.A., 1976)