Lessie Gilstrap is a commercial litigator with more than 20 years of experience. A skilled and successful trial attorney, she concentrates on representing clients in state and federal court and in arbitration.
Experience & Accomplishments
Ms. Gilstrap has successfully represented clients in a wide array of matters including:
- Complex Business Disputes
- Partnership Disputes and Breach of Fiduciary Duty Litigation
- Product Liability Matters
- Professional Malpractice Claims
- Employment Law Disputes including cases involving Non-Compete Agreements
- Real Estate Disputes
- School Law Issues
- Represented minority shareholder in breach of fiduciary litigation involving allegations of corporate theft by the majority shareholders. The matter settled favorably for the client after Ms. Gilstrap obtained an injunction in federal court against the defendants and obtained a court-appointed special master to monitor the company’s expenditures.
- Represented Fortune 500 company in dispute involving non-compete agreements and theft of trade secrets. As part of this case, Ms. Gilstrap and her team obtained a court order sanctioning a defendant for spoliation of computer evidence and awarding her client its attorney’s fees. After numerous depositions and hearings, the matter settled favorably for the client.
- Defended Fortune 500 manufacturer in multi-million dollar product liability case filed in Galveston, Texas. The Plaintiff was burned in an arc-flash that occurred when he was assigned to reset a breaker at a power plant. After successfully removing the case to federal court, Ms. Gilstrap took the lead in taking and defending ten fact and expert liability witnesses in addition to managing voluminous written discovery. The case settled very favorably for her client after the last fact witness was deposed.
- Represented purchaser in $5,000,000 claim for breach of warranty against international printing press manufacturer filed with the American Arbitration Association (AAA). Ms. Gilstrap served as first chair in this case, which settled favorably for the client after the first week of a scheduled two-week arbitration hearing in Chicago.
- Represented purchaser in $10,000,000 AAA arbitration claim for breach of warranty against international printing press manufacturer. This matter settled favorably for the client after the first three weeks of a scheduled eight-week arbitration hearing in Fort Worth, Texas. Ms. Gilstrap led the liability expert team, taking depositions in three states and two languages, and examining witnesses at the final hearing.
- 2021 Award for Advancement of Women’s Interests, Travis County Women Lawyers Association
- Travis County Women Lawyers Association, President, 2015-2016
- Travis County Women Lawyers Foundation, Chair, 2016-2017
- Women’s Chamber of Commerce of Texas, 2016 Blazing Star Award
- State Bar of Texas (1999)
- State Bar of Georgia (2002)
- U.S. District Court, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- Austin Bar Association
- Travis County Women Lawyers Association
– President, 2015-2016
– Chairperson, Mentoring Committee, 2013-2014
– Co-Chair, Publicity Committee, 2012-2013
– 2013 President’s Award – Board of Directors, 2012-2017
- Travis County Women Lawyers Foundation
– Chair, 2016-2017
– Board of Directors, 2014-present
– Fellow, 2013-2016
- Travis County Child Welfare Board
– Vice-Chairperson, 2015-2016
– Board of Directors, 2013-present
- Robert W Calvert Inn of Court, 2014-2018
- University of Houston (J.D., magna cum laude, 1999)
Houston Law Review
- Yale University (B.A., 1992)